Tourism: 10 Day ARCAS EcoTour
10 - DAY ARCAS TOUR PACKAGE (A Sample)
This package includes the first 6 days of 7-Day Package plus this:
- Transfer to Hawaii National Park, site of ARCAS's community-based sea turtle and crocodile conservation project on the south coast of Guatemala.
- Guided eco-tour of mangrove forests surrounding Hawaii Park.
- Depending on season, night-time patrol in search of nesting Olive Ridley and Leatherback sea turtles, collection of sea turtle eggs and burial in hatchery.
- Presentation on sea turtle biology and conservation.
- Visit to village of Hawaii and to area schools and, depending on season, participation in environmental educational activities.
- Presentations on local artesian crafts and industries such as palm collection, shrimp fishing and sesame farming.
- Visit to Lake Atitlan and tour of Mayan villages on this "the most beautiful lake in the world" (Aldous Huxley).
- Visits to environmental projects and hand-woven textile cooperatives.
- Sightseeing and shopping in Antigua.
- Guided eco-tour of organic coffee plantations.
A portion of the profits from these eco-tours will go to support ARCAS conservation activities as well as to the various community-based conservation and development associations working with ARCAS such as the Uaxactun Community Cooperative, the Hawaii school, handicraft cooperatives in El Remate and handicraft cooperatives.
In addition to sharing with the client their expertise and local knowledge, these projects and cooperatives will offer logistical support and accommodations to visitors.
Last Updated on Sunday, 10 April 2011 15:15