Eco-Tourism: Kinkajou Kingdom Environmental Education Center
Day Trips to Kinkajou Kingdom at ARCAS Petén
ARCAS invites you to spend a few fascinating hours at the Disney-supported Kinkajou Kingdom Environmental Education Center and Interpretive Trail on the grounds of the ARCAS Wildlife Rescue Center just a 10 minute boat-ride from the touristic center of Flores.
Take a walk along the approximately 1 kilometer of interpretive trails through the lush Peten rainforest, observe the non-releasable wild animals from the Rescue Center and learn how they got there … and at the same time supporting ARCAS’s wildlife conservation and rehabilitation efforts.
One of the reasons ARCAS originally established the Kinkajou Kingdom was to let one-day visitors learn about the rehabilitation activities going on at the Rescue Center without interfering in that process. Animals undergoing rehabilitation at the Rescue Center should not be unnecessarily exposed to people as this will cause them to lose their natural (and very healthy!) fear of humans.
Also, visitors can introduce infectious diseases into populations undergoing rehabilitation. For this reason, unannounced visitors are allowed ONLY to the Kinkajou Kingdom, not to the Rescue Center.
Things you can see and learn at the ARCAS Kinkajou Kingdom:
- ARCAS wildlife conservation and rehabilitation activities.
- The harm that animal trafficking does to the fauna of the Mayan Biosphere Reserve.
- Discover why wild animals that are taken from their natural habitat can often not be returned.
- See non-releasable animals from the Rescue Center, including macaws, parrots, guans, spider monkeys, kinkajous, coatimundis and margays.
- Visit our insect museum and birdwatching station.
- Learn the importance of conserving the flora and fauna of Peten.
- Learn about enewable, sustainable rainforest products of the Mayan Biosphere Reserve, including chicle (the original base for chewing gum), xate (used for flower arrangements all over the world), wood and medicinal plants.
A 2 to 3 hour tour with transportation leaves daily from the arch on the causeway to Flores. Please contact ARCAS staff at (502) 5208-0968 or (502) 55555-1722 or
Kinkajou Kingdom Tour Prices
Q15 per person
If you are going to the Peténcito Zoo, you can combine it with a visit to the Kinkajou Kingdom just next door. Unannounced tours are available anytime between 9AM and 3 PM for Q15 although a reservation is always recommended.
If you are interested in volunteering at the Kinkajou Kingdom (giving tours, creating exhibits…) please let us know. Email us at
Last Updated on Saturday, 28 April 2012 08:32